Sunday 29 November 2015

Keep your electric eye on me...

osprey drawing in ballpoint pen by holly holt

Here's something hot off the drawing board...I literally finished this about half an hour ago. I was asked to draw an Osprey and was sent a picture to work from the day after I'd started...oops. So instead of a raptor catching it's prey in a hail of ocean spray, we have this little baby chick. I think you can see the hunter she's going to grow into looking out from that beady eye. 
When it comes to the natural world, I don't like to draw anything that I haven't actually seen with my own eyeballs. Luckily, I did once see an Osprey battling the elements flying inland across the salt marshes at Arnside. They aren't the prettiest of the birds of prey, they always look startled to me but I think I like them more for that. But if good looking birds are your thing, here's another one on the house...(A Merlin falcon I saw on the same walk I found the waders skull.)

merlin falcon drawing in ballpoint pen by holly holt

1 comment:

ladybird said...

He's gorgeous, already powerful. You've caught his essence. Utterly brilliant.