Wednesday 6 January 2016

Like scattered black and whites...

seven for a secret never to be told magpie drawing by holly holt

A tiding of magpies. This is from quite a while ago but since it's leaving me to find a new home, I thought I'd share it. 
Just a little doodle really from a time when illustrating sayings from folklore was in my head along with drawing flocks of birds. I liked the idea of showing each individual differently despite them being part of a larger group. A sort of metaphor for humans which I'd love to claim was deliberate but has, in fact, just dawned on me as I write this. 
I'm not overly keen on the text, it seemed like a good idea at the time but I think it takes away the effect of perspective. Like many of my "projects" it was subconsciously abandoned after a couple of drawings (actually, I can't bring to mind any others so it could be just this one). I'm scattered, I have a new idea forming before the one I'm working on even gets onto paper. "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" Thanks Einstein, it obviously happens to the best of us.

No comments: