Sunday 14 February 2016

Love without your heartbeat...


anatomical heart illustration by holly holt

This is horribly unoriginal but after poring over the beautiful illustrations by Henry Vandyke Carter in Gray's Anatomy, I got the feeling that I wanted to draw a heart. Once I'd had a look at a few, (pictures that is, I've not branched out into amateur surgery) I tried to draw as much as I could from memory and imagination without checking the details, which is partly why my aorta is very similar to the way I'd draw twigs. I thought about inking it up but I couldn't find the red bottle and magenta wasn't going to cut the mustard so I've left it mono. It works well enough, I think. Do you know, I can't find an actual illustration of a full heart in Gray's book? Disappointing.
Anyway, look after your heart; eat fibre, don't smoke and if you must give it away, be sure it will be gratefully received. Happy Valentines.

No comments: